Wednesday, January 18, 2012

~ Cups of Love ~


Don't be deceived- this is not what it looks like. You may think you see some messy coffee cups and a filled pastry bag above. But you'd be wrong. Okay, you'd be half wrong. Yes, they are evidence of a Starbucks run, but really, they are evidence of love.

This is what my twelve-year-old brought home after asking to take a walk in the slushy snow. A mocha for me, a hot chocolate for brother and a donut for us to split. There was a rapping at the mudroom door and there he was- cheeks flushed from the cold, coffee spilled in all directions from slipping along the sidewalk home, overflowing hands that couldn't get the door open. All bought with his own money, and not a thing for himself. And as I hugged him and praised him and told him to change his soaking jeans, I asked why he had been so generous. "Because I love my family," he said.
As I stood there with my special treat, I immediately had the peace I have been missing for days.
There is love here, and we are going to be just fine.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jenniffer-

    My heart goes out to you as you heal and face each new day. I admire your strength and courage to share and your faith.

    Your boys sound so sweet. Hug them tight.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the love. God is so very, very loving. And to use your sweet, emotional pre-teen is so poetical, don't ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet. Can't believe he didn't even get anything for himself. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thoughtful, sweet young man you have there. Kids are the greatest comfort. I just read the previous posts and am so very sorry about the agony and heartache you are going through. I hope you can just get through one day at a time and breathe. Remember to exhale, Jennie!

    ps - I was just reading a great book that you may enjoy at this time: Grace (Eventually) Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott. She has such a wonderful way of thinking about struggles, joys, prayer and motherhood. She's full of heart, humor and so realistic for our times. Check it out! (I love the book on cd - she reads it and she's a great storyteller.)

    I'm saying a prayer for you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,Jennifer, this brought tears to my eyes.
    What a special, thoughtful son you have raised!
    Look at them!
    I know you feel discouraged at times, but look at them!
    YOU did this(with the help of God, of course:) you raised caring, Christian, thoughtful, sensitive young men!
    You are truly a incredible woman and a super great Mother!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I will always do my best to respond!