Tuesday, May 1, 2012

~May Day~


Happy May 1st to you!

I just love this month!
To me it is utterly romantic . . . 
(and this is one girl in need of some romance!)





The garden is blooming at every turn,



 the trees are showering down pink and white confetti
covering the streets below to resemble Candyland,


 the climbing roses will open this month and scent the air by the gate with their perfume,
the rain and the sun take their turns with the garden and even so,
the sun goes to bed later and later.



The kids are getting ready for the end of the school year:
performances, recitals, tests, graduations . . .
and the cats are shedding gobs of fur where ever they go!




And to celebrate the beautiful tradition of 'May Day'
I have some baskets of flowers to share!

However, these flowers are quite old . . . in fact they date back to 2008.
(they look well for that age, don't they?)  ;)
And the children delivering them date back four years as well. . .
(oh, they were SO much SMALLER!)

Four years ago, the boys and I (along with another family) had the fun and privilege to make and deliver nearly 200 paper cones filled with fresh flowers to a local nursing home. 
We spent the day prior folding 8x8 scrapbooking papers into cones, gluing them in place, punching holes in the tops and be-ribboning them for handles. Very happy hours those were.


And happier still was the experience of arranging a small bouquet in each and every cone
and then taking them 'door to door' inside the home to share with the residents.

(look how cute that little one is!)

I grew up leaving little baskets of flowers on door handles on the first of each May-
and I figured the older generations would have fond memories of having done the same.

Unfortunately, this is not the greatest picture and it's the only shot I got of one actually hanging on a door, 
but I'm sure you get the idea.

It was a really wonderful experience for all of us
(and the residents too, I hope!)-
in fact, the Younger was remembering it yesterday as he realized May 1st was nearly upon us.
He would love to do it again.

But sadly, as both my kiddos are four years older now, they have school and drama rehearsals and
homework that will keep them busy from morning until evening today-
and there just won't be time for them to spread the May Day cheer.

But I hope others of you will be inspired to keep the old tradition alive- 
(and just so you know, a handful of wilted dandelions lovingly picked and left on the doorstep by a two or three year old are just as welcome as any fancy basket or paper cone! )

Oh, let's leave a basket of flowers today
For the little old lady who lives down our way!
We'll heap it with violets white and blue,
With Jack-in-the-pulpit and wildflowers, too.
We'll make it of paper and line it with ferns
Then hide- and we'll watch her surprise when she turns
And opens the door and looks out to see
Who in the world , it could possibly be!

-Virginia Scott Miner

Cheers!
(all the photos in this post are mine, taken from '08-'11)

5 comments:

  1. how fun! i never knew about that tradition. that's really sweet. :) and i got a little teary eyed looking at the old photos of your boys. they've grown up so much! it made me think of my two oldest boys and how they'll be taller than me in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet, Jenniffer!

    p.s. I think it's neat how we three (Lora, me and you) have connected here on our blogs....I don't know either of you personally, but I love what I know...that we are Sisters-in-the-Lord....and someday we will worship at the throne together. Thanks for the preview, Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super sweet photos of them with flower deliveries!!! My daughter (in pre-school) delivered May flowers to several homes near their school yesterday... wish I would have known, I'd have come following along with the camera. Such a sweet thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mum and I would deliver do the same for the elderly in our community when I was younger too!
    I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tradition that is.
    I have to remember to leave some flowers on doorsteps with the kids next year

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I will always do my best to respond!