Friday, August 5, 2011

~A Blanket and Bye- Bye~


O Happy Friday!!
This last week has been incredibly busy around here- mostly because we're leaving for Seattle tonight to stay with my Grammie and Papa for nearly a week. Lots of fun with family and old friends planned, but the real trick has been just getting ready for the whole thing. This trip includes birthday gifts to bring along (my sister's, my brother-in-law's, my friend's son's), a newborn baby welcome present (more in a minute), all our luggage, bikes for the boys to ride, and a king-size iron-work bed frame which will need to be tied to the roof rack of our car (don't ask). On top of this, I've been trying to get the house in decent order to leave it (I hate coming home to a mess), desperately searching for someone to feed the cats, getting sixty bookmarks made for an event next week, and finally getting my sewing corner set up so I could bust out this . . .


This snuggly blanket was made with love for a dear friend's newborn baby girl. This is the fifth baby blanket I've made, and I've done them all in the same way: two different flannels, one yard each, sewn 'right sides' together, turned right-side out, and finished off with a bit of hand sewing of 'the hole'. Very simple, which is just what I can do. I am a very inexperienced and rather impatient sewer, so I like a project like this- Fun to pick fabrics, no cutting or measuring (yes, I'm lazy) and simply sewing straight lines. Plus, a personal handmade gift is so special, even if it is a simple handmade gift.

I so enjoy making these! They are soft and warm and I am told, hold up well to the constant washing. While the sewing machine whirs along I love to sit and give thought to the little one I am making it for. A lot of prayers and love go in to every blanket.


And the very best thing of all is actually seeing that sweet baby all swaddled in something I made- it sends my heart to the moon!


And so a card has been made-

And little Lauren's blanky is all wrapped and ready for our trip.

Can't wait to do some baby snuggling and catching up. It used to be that everyone I knew was having babies, in fact, for a couple of years there was a baby shower going on every Saturday afternoon- or so it seemed. I used to have a huge pile of baby gift bags and little clothes on hand all ready to go. Always be prepared!
Now, it's been nine years since I last had a baby to kiss and cuddle. But I don't miss it too much though. I'm all for babies when I'm not the one dealing with being up all night, changing diapers, living like a cow-on-call, etc. . . I think I'll love being a grandma some day! . . . a long time from now, of course! ;)

So, that's a bit of what I've been up to this week. Though, between all the 'getting ready to go', there has also been a lot of this . . .

. . . and this . . . . . . all due to feeling spent from the heat.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Bye-bye and I'll be back next week with all sorts of tales to tell! :)
Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Have a great trip! Love the fabric with the roses on it - wonderful choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that baby blanket is so sweet. I too love simple projects in fact I think I am due to making a very simple project as I seem to have lost my sewing mojo and need something to get me back in the game. Hope you are enjoying your trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE how you wrapped up that blanket, with the sheet music. so cute!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I will always do my best to respond!